Professional experience as a performer
Between 1996 and 1999, she was part of Lanònima Imperial dance company under the direction of Juan Carlos García in Barcelona for the creations of:
- Identificación de un Paisaje (1997)
- Cuerpo de Sombra y de Luz (1998)
- dance films Inquieta (1997), Cuerpo de Sombra y de Luz (1999)
She was also associated with General Electrica collective, participating in the creation and tour of various productions by Tomás Aragay:
- Cruza Cuando el Hombrecito esté en Verde (1997)
- Night (1998)
- John Kovack (1999)
Between 1999 and 2009, Laura was a formal member of the renowned Belgium Company Wim Vandekeybus/ Ultima Vez. She participated in the creations and touring of:
- Inasmuch as life is borrowed (2000)
- Scratching the Inner Fields (2001)
- Blush (2002)
- What a body does not remember (revival 2002)
- Sonic Boom (2004)
- Puur (2005)
- Spiegel (2006)
- Menske (2007)
- What’s the Prediction (2007 - 2010)
Laura also performed in dance films directed by Wim Vandekeybus: Here After (2007), Blush (2005) and the short film Inasmuch as Life is Borrowed (2000).
Relevant teaching experience
Laura has combined her artistic practice with recognised pedagogical work in the international contemporary dance field.
She is regularly guest artist at festivals and art universities such as:
Impulstanz Vienna in Austria; P.A.R.T.S. Performing Arts Research & Training Studios in Belgium and Rosas/Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker; Deltebre Dansa in Spain; HKAPA Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts; Atelier Transformation and Studio 303 in Montreal; SEAD Salzburg Experimental Academy of Dance; State School of Athens; Kalamata International Dance Festival; Korean National University of Arts Seoul; Charleroi-Danses in Belgium; Institut del Teatre and La caldera in Barcelona; CID Centro Internazionale della Danza in Rovereto, Italy; Conservatorio El Barco, Costa Rica; Delfos Dance Company and Centro de la Artes de San Luis Potosí in Mexico; Iceland Academy of Arts; Chinese Culture University of Taiwan and others.
From 2000 to 2008, she regularly co-taught and assisted Wim Vandekeybus during Ultima Vez workshops around the world.
From 2009 to 2014, she founded the artistic platform EMBER together with Jorge Jáuregui Allue
Together, they created and performed:
- La Era de los Cosmonautas (2009)
- Cola de Gallo (2010) and Double Track (2011) - collaboration with the Spanish company La Macana.
- Impostura (2011)
- Microacciones (2011)
Since then, Laura has been commissioned for the following creations:
- Surprised By Joy, guest choreographer at Taller Nacional de Danza-El Barco, Costa Rica, 2009
- El Buit, commissioned by Centro de las Artes de San Luís Potosí, Mexico 2010
- Under the Eyelids, guest choreographer at ZPA, Zagrebacki Plesni Ansambl in Croatia 2011
- Cities of Delusion, As Long A There Is Us and The Anatomy of Broken Things, as the Artist in Residence at Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts (2012 - 2014)
Smaller scale work includes:
- A-Part & Open Wound, solo microActions (2013)
- Cualquier Mañana, collaboration with the Spanish dancer Álvaro Esteban (2014, still on tour)
- Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (2017), solo stage performance, in process - Premiere in April 2017 at Sismògraf Festival in Catalonia
Other creative work
- MicroAcciones EMBER (2011) and MicroAcciones Hong Kong (2014): A dance intervention project taking place in museums, art galleries, and unusual spaces with the aim to create an organic dialogue between the body, the visual arts, and the spectator outside the context of the theater.
- Guest artist at Guerilla Project, during Art Basel-Hong Kong at Chai Wan Mei, Hong Kong
- Improvisation Land 48, an artistic gathering organised by Y-Space and curated by Victor Choi Ma, Hong Kong (2014)
- Writing with Bodies & The Alienation of Dance, an academic lecture presented at Chinese Culture University of Taiwan (2013)
- Cualquier Mañana film (2016), a version of the collaboration between Álvaro Esteban and Laura Aris. The film was produced by Dance Academy Russia in St. Petersburg and filmed and edited by Виталий Ким.
- Opera Salome, coach and choreographer's assistant for the Richard Strauss's Salome, directed by Ivo Van Hove, with choreography by Wim Vandekeybus and the conductor Daniele Gatti (Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra) at Dutch National Opera & Ballet in Amsterdam, June 2017.
- Choreographer's assistant at the remake of the dance production PUUR (2005) by Ultima Vez/Wim Vandekeybus at the Royal Swedish Ballet, 2017.
- Lladró Award to the Outstanding Dancer at Festival de Valencia (ES), 1999
- Award of Excellence: Prize for Extraordinary Student, Institut del Teatre de Barcelona (CSD), 1997
- Creation and tour of the awarded dance performance “Cruza Cuando El Hombrecito esté en Verde” directed by Tomas Aragay - First Prize for Choreography at the XI Certamen Coreográfico de Madrid, 1997. And creation and tour of "Jonh Kobach" directed by Tomàs Aragay - Awarded at International Encounters in Saint-Denis, France, 1999.
- As Long As There is Us and The Anatomy of Broken Things were at the panelists at Hong Kong Dance Awards 2014.
Academic and professional qualifications
Degree in Performance and Choreographic Practice, Institut del teatre de Barcelona 1992-1996